Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Monday Night Movie Review - Double Feature - Argo and Hitchcock

I actually watched these movies last night in a vain attempt to leach out as much weekend as possible. But alas, Monday inevitably comes. Even when you stay up way too late watching great movies.

Hitchcock

"Style is merely self-plagarism."


I didn't hear much about this movie before I decided to check it out. But as a Hitchcock lover (yes, even Vertigo), I felt it was my cinematic duty to watch it. And I'm so glad I did. Anthony Hopkins is almost unrecognizable as Alfred Hitchcock and he plays the role with such a perfect nuance that it never occurs to you that it's Hopkins under all that rotund make-up. And the acting is at its best when Hopkins plays up that lesser-known Hitchcock humor. 


If I'm being honest though, and I usually am, the best part of the movie was Helen Mirren as Alfred Hitchcock's wife, Alma Reville. First of all, Helen Mirren is like, one of the classiest, sexiest ladies in movies. And she plays the role of wife to the renowned director with such impact that your mind is forced the divide the concept of starring role. Alma was Hitchcock's best friend, creative partner, soundboard, and most trusted confidant. Seeing their relationship, even in a semi-fictional portrayal, reminded me that such things actually still exist in the world. Her character is played to the hilt and she is never one-upped by her co-star or his namesake.


The movie is essentially the story of the making of Psycho and is based on the aptly titled book Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho. There are some cinematic embellishments, but the movie takes you from Psycho's conception (including a supposed bizarre obsession for Ed Gein, on whom Psycho is based, by Mr. Hitchcock) all the way to its cinematic debut and subsequent success. 


It was seriously so good. A little bit of history, a little bit of humor, and Scarlett Johansson as Janet Leigh. Boom. Go see it.

Argo


This is a long movie. But seriously, you don't even notice because it's so friggin good. Turns out Ben Affleck knows what the hell he's doing. 

Some of you may have already seen it in the theater, but I waited until it came out on Redbox because 
1. I'm too busy to go to the movies (not true).  
2. I'm cheap (super true). 

Anyways, the movie chronicles the true story of the CIA rescue of 6 Americans hiding in the Canadian Embassy, who escaped when Iranian revolutionaries stormed the U.S Embassy in Iran in the late 1970's. I obviously immediately fell in love with the set treatments and costuming, but I also absolutely loved the story. Everything built so slowly, so delicately. And its story delivered on every promise. Nail-biting. Intense. Late 1970's mustaches in full force. What more could a proud American, or anyone really, want in a movie? 


Creative liberties were obviously taken in terms of story, but I don't think it subtracted from the overall purpose of the film - which was to acknowledge one of the prouder (and those are getting fewer and fewer) moments in American and Canadian history. It highlighted a collaboration between national governments that was essentially free of ego and utterly successful. And it also made me seriously question the vastness of information we as citizens may never know.


Totally worth the time and money. And I would feel the same way even if I'd spent $12 to see it. Hey. Don't judge me. Do you know how much Nutella $12 can buy? A week's worth, at least. 

Happy Monday. 

xo. 

Update: I'd just like to mention that I'm sending nothing but love to everyone in Boston this afternoon. So, so sad. 

All images found via Google 

No comments:

Post a Comment