Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tuesday's Tea Bag Philosophy - Vol. 5

Lord have mercy. If you are all wondering what kind of day I've been having - and don't act like you're not - it's the kind where I was attempting to justify a shot of liquor at 9:30 in the morning.

Lucky for the two kids that are here, I was unable to. But don't think I didn't try.

Surprisingly, I settled on some delicious detox tea instead. And this little gem was gifted to me on the tea bag.


Sometimes, I feel like Yogi tea was created simply to remind me to not have a nervous breakdown. Granted, it isn't that bad, but this was a really pleasant little surprise and a much needed reminder to chill out. To notice the sun punching through the clouds. To try and appreciate the sounds of Sesame Street.

And most importantly, to remember that the entire universe's ability to uphold itself is in no way dependent on my mood. I know, it came as a shock to me too. But believe it or not, the world doesn't spin on its axis just for me.

It isn't all about me. In fact, it isn't all about any of us. And that's a pretty harrowing thought for a 20-something. We're all so caught up in the relentless torments of trying to be figure out adulthood that we don't ever think to look up and notice that everyone else is struggling too. Everyone. Exactly like we are.

Not only does that awareness of others make us feel considerably less alone, it also makes our own problems feel much, much smaller. It allows for some perspective - perspective we don't see when we're knee-deep in self-pity, bitching and complaining and drinking too many White Russians on a random Thursday night.

So maybe instead of complaining and wallowing in the fact that you're single, or taken, or working when you'd rather be watching Mad Men in footie pajamas, we could all like, help. Call up someone and tell them you miss them, and mean it, and let them talk about what's been going on in their lives without ever making it about you. Write a thank you letter to your mom. For nothing and for everything. Go walk some of the dogs at the local animal shelter and give them a break from the stresses of being in such a miserable environment. Volunteer to read to inner-city children. Or hell, just smile at someone in line at Starbucks.

Step outside of yourself for just a little bit and I guarantee that those things you're dwelling on will loosen the white-knuckle grip they have on your stomach and your well-being. Realize that doing something entirely for someone else, even if it's simply letting them in during rush hour, has a much stronger effect than whining or binge eating gelato.

And while we're kinda on the subject, thank you. Seriously. I know this little blog isn't much, but it means the world to me that you consider me relevant enough to your day to take the time to check in with what's going on in my brain. Thank you all so, so much for reading. Really.


Happy Tuesday!

xo.

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing person! Your blog makes my day. I am so lucky to be your mom. What great advice from my twenty something daughter! Love you girlie. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Bethie - got (WAYYYYY) behind on reading blogs, but it's kind of fun to read like a million posts in a day.

    ReplyDelete